Wednesday, January 30, 2008

06 Late Winter - Spider Web


Here's another photograph of the backyard in late winter, 2006, just after we'd finished pulling out all the Scotch broom, strangle vine and blackberry.

I think this photograph shows the backyard even before we started shoring up the hillside with boards and rebar.

As you can probably see, the hillside is very steep. There was a narrow animal trail up the hillside to the left of the spider web. To reach the fence at the top of the hill, you had to run at full speed to make sure you didn't fall down the hillside.

I have to admit Phil was very indulgent. I told him I envisioned gardens up the hillside. He asked me if I'd ever gardened. I said, no. And, frankly, I didn't even know if I liked gardening, but something about this hillside inspired me to transform it.

No comments: