Sunday, February 10, 2008

06 Later Winter - Mexican Salvia


In San Francisco, I've discovered nothing attracts hummingbirds more than Mexican salvia.

People tell me Anna's hummingbirds like hollyhocks, jasmine, lemon blossoms, etc., but they will take up permanent residence in your gardens if you have Mexican salvia.

Two small patches were here when we moved into this house. Both have thrived with nothing more than regular watering and occasional fertilizing. (I use an orchid fertilizer 20 10 20 - one scoop per gallon - throughout the gardens.)

I've just mastered features on my camera that enable me to photograph the hummingbirds, who bathe on nasturtium leaves hanging over the waterfall, dive-bomb interlopers, and zoom around Phil and me in the gardens.

Mexican salvia is very easy to grow. A deleafed stick, long thought dead and used as a marker for a newly planted ranunculus, was discovered growing leaves and roots after a few weeks.

Stay tuned for photographs of the hummingbirds.

No comments: